Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't get xp to allow remote deletion of files

Status
Not open for further replies.

weckev

MIS
Aug 23, 2004
US
I have a 2000 server domain. We have a custom application that will not run on a NOS. The company who built it said it is meant to be run on XP. (Odd, considering it is a server application.) The point is that I had to use XP as sort of a member server, or workstation with shares if you prefer to call it that.

The problem is:
I have set up sharing and security to allow full control over all files (replacing permissions on all child objects) to all authenticated users. I still can't delete a file in the shared folder via my workstation once I have browsed to it through "My Network Places".

General cases:
Your specific case: The Shared Document folder was intended for local logon and not really remote users. Remote users only have Level 3 access to files in the Shared Document folder at the root level. You can create subfolders, create shares for these subfolders, and assign full permissions: " If you create a folder in the Shared Documents folder (Level 3), share it on the network, and then permit network users to change your files (Level 5), the permissions for Level 5 are effective for the folder, the files in that folder, and the child folders. The other files and folders in the Shared Documents folder remain configured at Level 3."

The easier path is to create a new folder but not in Shared Documents, and share it with full permissions for remote users. This allows the permissions to cascade to any new folders created.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back