Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get Windows to boot with this new drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelleye

Technical User
Feb 4, 2003
US
I have a system here that I just peiced together that I'm having troubles with. The hard drive came out of another computer so it already has Windows and all my software installed on it. I've placed it into this other system but I can't get it to boot...at all.

When I turn it on it brings me to the boot option menu. If I select to Start Windows Normally it just sits there and does nothing. I can't get into any safe mode either.

Even though I've done this procedure many times before (switching a hard drive into a diferent mobo and stuff) with no problems, I was thinking I'd just go ahead and install windows again hoping that would fix it. When I boot from CD however it goes fine until i gets to the Setup is Starting Windows point. And it just sits there. It won't go on.

What would be causing this system to not be able to boot into windows...no matter what I do? It's driving me nuts and any information would be greatly appreciative. Thanks!

Did the bios recognize it?
Proper cable and connection?
Jumper correctly?

wolluf: I'm checking out the link now...

MattCake: POST procedure is fine...it sees the hard drive and it sees the cd writer. it boots to the cd fine and goes through entire process untill it gets to "Setup is Starting Windows" and stops everytime.

Seems that anytime I actually try and start windows it's hanging. Be it on the actual drive or on the CD.

Again, I'm checking out that link now. Any more hel would be great...I'll update if that link helps. thanks!

Ok...the link isn't really my situation. Getting into that repair is exactly what I was going to do...but I can't even get that far. Setup starts windows and then begins asking you about those questions. Mine hangs right there.

But what about the other part of the post - removing unecessary hardware (this has occasionally been necessary to get all varieties of windows to install) & if ok, put it back later.

I was booting with only a video card in there. I've made slight leadway...I put the drive into the computer that had the mobo it used to be matched with. It booted up just fine. So I'm guessing it must have something to do with the chipset drivers. The drive has the chipset drivers installed for this ASUS motherboard. I'm gessing that when it's on another board it's looking for a specific chipset and since it's not matching it's not booting.

It's a problem I always thought would arise...but never has until now. I've done this about 5 times with different mobos and drives.

Anyway, how can I remove all the chipset drivers and software from the drive so that when it boots with the other mobo chipset it won't conflict? Nothing about VIA or chipset anything shows up in the Add/Remove. Would removing all the VIA stuff under device manager and then shutting down and swapping the drive fix it you think???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back