Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get USB ports to recognize my Sony Handycam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpermonkey

Technical User
Sep 28, 2003
US
OK, here's the deal!
I just assembled a brand new PC using an AMD 2600, 500Meg of RAM and a Radeon Video card. I installed XP Pro on a new 80Gig HD also. The PC is working fine. However...

When I plug my Sony Handycam (also new) into the USB port and try to send data, the PC keeps trying to install new hardware. "New Hardware Found".
I have installed the drivers from the MB CD and even D/L'd a driver from Sony. Still no go.

The camera supports USB streaming, but I need help getting it to work.

Any ideas?

Many thanks from JumperMonkey

There is a readme that goes along with the handy cams, sony's are always picky with how to install them. You have to follow, word for word, their directions or else you cant even get install support from them. There should be a pdf that goes along with your updated drivers - give that a shot. If not, i had a similar issue with some of our sony's - i will try to find those troubletickets.

-marc

Update!
I found (in the HandyCam menus) a "Stream USB On/Off" setting. I turned it on and the camera was recognized by the PC. The Bundled software (Roxio DVD Creator) displays the video when played, but won't capture it.
Anyway, I'm getting there although it isn't easy.

Thanks for your input, Marc!

JumperMonkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back