Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get to proxy server through routers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogue1

Technical User
Jul 11, 2003
US
Hi,
I have 2 2507 cisco routers connected with a back to back serial cable.
I have 2 networks, 10.10.10.0 and 192.168.1.0
The serial port ip's are 75.75.75.1 and 75.75.75.2
Workstations on the 192. side can log on to a server on the 10. side. All computers on both sides can ping each other.
I have a proxy server (10.10.10.4) with a dial up internet connection. All computers on the 10. side can get to the internet through the proxy server. When a computer on the 192. side tries, the dial up window will pop up on the proxy server and make the connection but the computers on the 192. side never get to the inetenet.
I thought it might be a DNS problem but I have the same info on all computers on both sides and the ones on the 10. side works fine.
Do you think it is a router problem or something else?
Thanks.

I do not think it is a router issue since your dial up server is receiving data from them and opening the port. I assume you have checked that data from the 10 side can get back to the remote network (eg you have a route configured on the router local to the 10 network pointing to the 122.168 LAN.

The other thing I would check is your dial server. Are you sharing the IP address of the server's modem using NAT? (Network Address Translation) If so is the NAT system showing mappings for your 192.168 clients?

I do not think it is a router issue since your dial up server is receiving data from them and opening the port. I assume you have checked that data from the 10 side can get back to the remote network (eg you have a route configured on the router local to the 10 network pointing to the 122.168 LAN.

The other thing I would check is your dial server. Are you sharing the IP address of the server's modem using NAT? (Network Address Translation) If so is the NAT system showing mappings for your 192.168 clients?

Final thought have you ensured that the 192.168 clients have the correct IP address configured in your web browser for the proxy server?

Hi,
I fixed it by doing,
"c:\>route add 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.1"
on the proxy server.
The server is windows 98 running FreeProxy.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back