Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get to prompt - newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2002
US
I have a cisco 2621 router which is configured to use ISDN as a backup. (Someone else did the configuration). I have another 2621 router that I wanted to configure to use ISDN only. I printed out the running-config from the first router and entered the information for the bri into the 2nd router. I rebooted the 2nd router. The router hangs on the line "SNMP agent on host is undergoing a cold start". If I hit return, it displays "con0 is now available" and "Press RETURN to get started". I press return, but I don't go to a prompt, it just repeats the last 2 lines.
I didn't expect the configuration to work, and I don't care that it doesn't at this point, I just wanted to see how far I could get on my own before I called the experts. But I really would like to know how to get the prompt router> back. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well, there's something wrong with the console config (line con 0) - perhaps a "no login" or some authentication configured.

Can you telnet to the box?

Otherwise you will have to follow the password recovery procedure in to gain access to the box.

Cheers *Rob

Thanks for your help, I was able to telnet to the router and set the line con 0 to default settings. Thanks again. I'm learning so much just goofing stuff up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back