Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get to existing Profiles after Win 98 Reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpear

MIS
Mar 19, 2001
US
After much flakiness on my system, I decided to reinstall (recover, actually) Win98 from my HP CD-ROM.

However, I haven't been able to figure out how to get the existing \Windows\Profiles\-myuserid- profile reattached or associated with my reinstalled system. Using Explorer, I can see that the directories are all intact. But, how do I get to those Profiles?

After reinstalling, I believe you may be forced to recreate the user profiles. The folders might remain but the registry entries could be lost, easily.

This is really an easy one. Set up the users and run the Policy Editor (or whatever software you might be using). If you just using poledit, you might consider switching to something a bit more sophisticated, like F-101.

Erp... I never thought I would endorse the competition but there ya go. Anything that works well deserves a mention here.
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com
Klatu barada nikto, y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back