Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get rid of old logo on startup/shutdown win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

RANKIN

MIS
Mar 6, 2003
US
annoying problem with old company logo.

Everytime I startup/shutdown my Win98 machine our old company logo pops up for a second, even though the NEW logo is displayed as the desktop background - not a major problem but rather annoying!
I have deleted the old logo jpeg file, or at least I can't find it, but it still appears.

If anyone has any idea how I can solve this problem, I would be greatfull to hear from them.
Thanks,
James Bradie

hi
i've been waiting for that answear for years , it is not worth the time to fully look for it and in the same time it always intrigued me for why windows does that
hope somebody will let us know
thanks joe

It is probably stored in the BIOS I would think...

I haven't been on this site for a while and thought I might have a casual look around today. But then I saw this question and thought, well why not, so, this is how you do it.

You go into your hard drive (probably C:) under "My Computer" and go into your "Windows" directory (usually c:\windows\)

In Windows 98 you have to click the "Show Files" on the left side of the screen. In Windows 95 it isn't required.

Scroll down to the logos.sys file and double click on it.

It will ask you what to open the file with.

Select the MSPaint program to open it with. Then make all the changes that you want and save them.

You probably want to make a copy the logos.sys file in another folder just in case you don't like the changes that you made.

After you have made the changes, save the picture and click on your "Start" button and choose the shut down option and shut down again.

Where it usually says you can now shut your computer off, it has changed to whatever you edited it to be.

That should do the trick.

Kind regards

Phil

Are you talking about the screen that displays while 98 is booting (before logon prompt or desktop if no logon prompt)? This is picked up from logo.sys in root of C: (if present - otherwise its in io.sys I believe). Or do you mean the background to the logon prompt?

If we are talking about the desktop, my first thoughts would be that you had active desktop enabled (and in effect 2 wallpapers).

The startup and shutdown Screens are logo.sys, logow.sys (You can shut off now), and logos.sys. If you delete or rename these the default screens will come back. They originals are inbedded in IO.SYS, but if you make new ones Windows will use them instead.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

I THINK WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE BACKROUND SCREEN , NOT THE OFFICIAL MICROSOFT LOGO SCREENS
LETS SAY I DISPLAY MY SON'S PICTURE AS A WALLPAPER ( BACKROUND ) THEN AFTER A WEEK I CHANGED IT BACK TO ANOTHER PICTURE , THE OLD PICTURE WILL FLASH FOR A SECOND WHEN WINDOWS FIRST DISPLAY THE DESKTOP , AND WE ARE ASKING HOW TO PREVENT THAT

THANKS
JOE

Thanks for that Joe
That is exactly what is happening. The company logo was set up as wallpaper, then replaced with the new logo.
Now the old logo pops up for a second at shutdown/startup.
Thanks
James Bradie

HELLO
GRENAGE
I DONT KNOW IF IT IS WITH ACTIVE DESKTOP ENABLED OR NOT , SINCE I DONT USE WIN98 ANYMORE
BUT PLEASE WHAT IS YOUR INPUT IN BOTH CASES
THANKS
JOE

Well if you right click the desktop and go into display properties, then onto the web tab does it have a graphic selected here as your background?

If you turn off Active desktop and your old logo returns (as I hope), you can then use the background tab to select the new background?

That file must be on your hardrive somewhere. Search and destroy :).

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back