Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get rid of Netscape message

Status
Not open for further replies.

marvinhl

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
US
I replaced Netscape Messenger with Eudora for my mail server; didn't like Eudora so I un-installed it and went back to Netscape Messenger. Now, every time I open Netscape for anything, I get a window that says: You have configured Netscape Communicator to use an external mail program, but since the POSTAL.DLL can't be found, Netscape messenger will be used instead. Then I need to hit OK to proceed.
I un-installed and re-installed Netscape 4.8 twice. The message still comes up every time. I'm using XP Pro, Athlon 2K, 512 meg RAM. How can I get rid of this nuisance message?

It must be that when you uninstall it it does not get rid of all the settings.
It must have something like Internet Explorer where it needs to know what email program you use so that when you click on a link that says mailto:joeblow@nowhere.com (for instance) it knows what program to open.
Go into the settings in Netscape and look for something like "Programs". It will have email, newsgroups, html editor, maybe calendar too. Set it to the current programs.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Hi Jontmke,
I looked for settings but only found some in preferences where I had looked earlier. I'm familiar with those, but they don't seem relevant to the problem. Am I missing something?
Marvinhl

Somewhere in that program it needs to know what email program you use.
If that fails try reinstalling your current email program.
Or, and this is dangerous be careful, go into the registry and look for this setting.
It will probably be under HKCU\Software\Netscape.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Hi Jon,
I un-installed and re-installed the mail program, no change. I went into the registry and found HKCU\software\Netscape, but I don't know what to do next, don't know what to look for or do with it when I find it.

Marvin

Have you checked Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs (tab) > E-mail:? It should read, "Netscape #.## Mail (#.##=version)."

Hi tterk,
I tried what you suggested; all settings were OK, but I reset them anyway and then re-booted....the message still came up.
Marvin

Do as tterk recommended, but be sure to hit the button to reset the defaults.

Hi bcastner,
I went back to internet options and clicked on Reset Web Settings. It appears that it only wants to change my browser from Netscape to IE. I don't want to use IE, so I closed out of that page. Did I miss something?
Marvin

I've searched this, and can't find what you are using for a mail program. What is it?

Also, maybe if you do what it wants and reboot, then it'll do what you want.

Hi again tterk,
I'm using Netscape messenger for my mail. As far as I can tell, the default button resets to Outlook Express. Earlier, I said IE in error, but I meant Outlook Express. I'm a bit new to XP after years of Win 98SE, so if you can direct me more specifically with your suggestions, I'll be able to follow more closely.
Marvin

Hello again,
I did push the reset and then re-booted...
sorry, no change.
Marvin

Do you have SP1 installed?

Control Panel, Add/Remove, Default Windows Components. Allow XP to assign custom user program defaults for Internet components.

It seems as if your netscape doesn't see your mail account, and you need to (re)establish one.

If you click on the mail icon (or go to Window > Mail & Newsgroups or press Ctrl+2) and open the mail window, then select File > New > Account > Email Account.

At this point just follow the yellow brick road with your mail specs and you should be able to (re)establish your email account.

I deleted my mail settings and rebooted. I expected to re-enter my settings after the reboot, but the old settings were right there.
I wonder if this is really a "mail specific" problem. No matter what I'm interested in using Netscape for, browsing, home page, PayPal, Tek-Tips, searching, etc. as soon as the Netscape splash screen opens, I get the message. I use Mail Washer to intercept mail for spam detection and as soon as it processes mail and is ready to send mail to Netscape Messenger, the message pops up first. Might there be another place to look rather the mail area? Just a thought.
Marvin

I just did another careful check of my settings and went through all the previous suggestions again, still no luck, message remains.
BTW, I do have SP1 installed, but could not find Default Windows Components in add/remove.
Marvin

If you have SP1, it's there -->Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, the 'Set Program Access and Defaults' button is just below the 'Add and Remove Windows Components' button.

I may be wrong, but it seems that many of the tipsters are assuming that my Browser is IE and my mail is handled by Outlook Express...not so! I use Netscape as my default browser and Netscape messenger for my mail. That aside, I just finished uninstalling and reinstalling Netscape again. This time I went through the registry after it was uninstalled and removed every Netscape entry.
After a reboot and reinstall, everything works including the message. It's still here!
Marvin

Since SP1, Microsoft has included an option to allow you to set specific non-Microsoft default programs (Remeber the big anti-trust issues?). I suspect that you will be able to fix this problem by going into 'Set Program Access and Defaults', expand the 'Custom' section with the drop down arrow on the right, change it to Outlook Express and OK out. Then, open your Netscape Mail program and you should be warned that it's not the default mail program - would you like to make it the default? Choose yes and you should be all set.

I also had similar problems with Netscape and could not fix it. I finally uninstalled Netscape and started using IE6 and OE6 and have not had a single problem since then.

Some versions of Netscape were buggy. Why don't you try to install a later version of Netscape and see if that works better? Find out which versions of Netscape are suppose to work with XP and that may end all your problems by installing a version of Netscape that is compatible with XP.

Worth a try instead of going through all your agony trying to force version 4x work correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back