Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get PageMaker to print double sided on duplex printer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaskaGirl

Technical User
Nov 22, 2006
US
I made a report in PageMaker 7.0 that is designed to be double-sided. I want to print the report on our HP 5500 color laserjet, which has duplex capability. I have done this before (last year) but now I cannot get PageMaker to print double-sided on that printer. It works on other duplex printers, but the color is not as good. So I either get double-sided with lousy color or single-sided with great color. I want double-sided with great color!
Some how PageMaker is having trouble with this particular printer. This is what happens: I go to print. In the print dialog box, I choose the printer I want (my default printer is not the HP 5500 color printer so I always have to change it). Then I click on the Setup... button and check the "print on both sides" box. Click OK. That should do it, right? But if I check on the Options after I've done that, the Duplex section is all grayed out, as if duplex is not an option. Why is that? I think that is my problem, but I don't know what to do about it. This is very frustrating! Would re-installing PageMaker do anything? Any ideas?

PM and duplexing is often problematic but usually resolvable by ensuring all the settings are enabled.

I'm assuming you're a Windows user with sufficient privileges, that the issue is restricted to just the HP5500, and that the HP is in PCL mode, not Postscript.

First, navigate to Control Panels -> Printers, and hold down the Alt key while you double click on the icon for the HP5500.

Check in the properties tab that the duplexer is enabled in the "Configure" tab. Under the "Advanced" tab, click "Printing Defaults" and check "print on both sides". Click OK. Also check under the "General" tab, click "Printing Preferences" and under the "Finishing" tab, check "print on both sides".

HP5500_DefaultSetting.gif

Second, make sure the "compose to" printer for your publication is the HP5500.

Third, click File -> Print.

Click the Setup button to launch the Printer Properties, and check "Print on both sides". Click OK.

HP5500_PMProperties.gif

Click the Options button and makes sure "Long Edge" is checked in the Duplex Section.

HP5500_PMOptions.gif

Hopefully all should be well.

If you're using the NP 5500 in PS mode, then see this HP Support Document -
(HP PostScript® Printers - Cannot Access Configuration Option Settings like Duplex, tray selection, and hard drive in Adobe PageMaker v 5.0, 6.0, 6.5, or 7.0)

LIVERPOOL FC - FA Cup Winners 2006.
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Thanks, SlimJohnD. I had tried just about all those ideas already, but followed each of your suggestions (again). Same results as before. HOWEVER, our IT guy figured out a way to get around this problem: In PageMaker, instead of printing to HP5500, we printed to MS Office Doc Image Writer. This basically saves it as a file. The document automatically comes up after it's been saved. Then print to the HP5500 (check Duplex, long edge under Options) and we get the duplex report. To improve clarity, uncheck the "compress images" box in the MDI file section (in Setup...Advanced). (I tried saving it as a tiff, but my computer wouldn't do it--too big, I guess.) I'm satisfied with the results--much better resolution than printing from a pdf file.

we printed to MS Office Doc Image Writer. This basically saves it as a file.
Yep. The usual work around is create a PDF and print that.

The only other thing that I can think of is that the default settings on the printer's own control are not set properly.
Full details here:
Sorry you can't print directly - I have (mono) duplexing HP laserjet but have no problems printing on both sides. However, it is networked I can configure the printer via the HP Status Monitor - I don't know if the same applies to the LJ 5500.

HPStatusMonitor.gif

LIVERPOOL FC - FA Cup Winners 2006.
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back