Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get Outlook 2000 to work with Roaming Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

furtech

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2003
AU
Hello,

I'm trying to set up accounts so that when a user logs in they can access a Pop account via Outlook 2000, they should be able to access this account on each computer in the network.

The problem is that when I set up Outlook for a user it's saving their .pst file in a folder called "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook", the sub foler "Local Settings" does not get updated with their profile on the server. Hence, when they log into another computer they can't access .Pst file as it hasn't been downloaded off the server.

FYI the network I'm running has the following a Server which is running Windows 2000 (AD), and client machines with Windows XP and Outlook 2000 on them.

Thanks,

Matthew Collins

You need to make sure that everytime you setup a .pst for a user with a roaming profile, you set it up somewhere on the network that that particular person has access too. For Instance, We set everyones My documents to be a share drive to a particular folder on one of our servers. Each person has there own folder. We make there pst's in that folder. To keep it simple you need to make sure that you aren't making there psts in the default location of "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook". Make them somewhere on the network that each machine will have access to.

abuthemagician: Yes they all have roaming profiles

Palynth: That's what I was thinking, but I dont know how to change where the pst file is stored...do you know of somewhere which explains it?

Thanks

go to the specific computer in which the pst was made. click start\settings\control Panel\mail. (In Win 2000). click on show profiles, select the specific profile if you have if more than one profile set up on that machine. than hit properties. At this point hit data files and the pst will pop up. select the proper pst and hit settings. This will show you the exact path at which the pst resides. Move the pst to a place of your choosing on the network and copy it there. At this time you will need to repoint where to look for the pst. Do exactly what I said before except when you go to hit settings at the data file section, hit remove instead. Once removed, select add and point to the copied pst you just moved to the network. There are other ways to do this and this is just one of them. I hope this is what you were asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back