Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get out of MS DOS Mode Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

lezleew

Instructor
Feb 10, 2001
US
I have an IBM 300GL 233 - 64mg ram 1 gig harddrive. Running win98. A student was messing around with the computer and now it will only boot in MS DOS Mode Compatibility. I tried typing win and exit - the machine reboots and ends up back at MS DOS Mode.... HELP!

What happens if you hold f8 during the boot phase? Can you see options for safe mode or such??
The Geek

Dont be afraid to share what you know. There are no losers in our arena, only self rightous monkeys atop their own tree.

yes, when I choose Safe Mode it just takes me back to MS DOS....

A bit confused here. Does the machine boot to the DOS prompt or does it boot to Windows in safe mode and inform you it is running in DOS compatability mode when you check the settings in the control panel?

I will assume the prior...

Check the MSDOS.SYS file and make sure you have a line under the "[Options]" section that reads:

BootGUI = 1

Also, if C:\MSDOS.SYS doesn't exist you have found your problem. If this file isn't present, Windows will dump you to the DOS prompt on boot every time. Copy the file from a similar system and see if that helps.

VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back