Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get monitor to work with DVI cable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteph

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hi all,
I have a Samsung 930B panel and an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 card. Both have the DVI connectors. The Samsung has an "Auto-Source" setting, and it's "auto"--I don't know what "manual" would do--there' no further area to "manually" set it to analog or dvi.

Anyway, when I plug in the dvi the monitor shows the little dialog in the corner of the black screen saying "digital", then waits a few seconds, then it tries analog, then waits, and it goes back and forth and never comes up with a screen. If I switch to the analog cable it's fine. I've tried both the "auto" and "manual" settings, but neither will work with the dvi unless I'm missing a setting. I'd really like to use the dvi. Can anyone help?
Thanks,
--Jim

Check the settings on your graphics cards driver. There may be something there to enable the DVI socket.
Pure guess work, as I have never had this problem myself.

Well I got it fixed.

For those who might have a similar problem here's the history:

It was actually a Diablotek card, which uses the Radeon 7500 chip--the card said it was a "Radeon 7500" (not 'mobility'). It came with a CD but it looked very non-standard--just two folders copied to the CD for the 7000 and 9000 series drivers--no Setup.exe in the root directory, almost as if it were a pirated CD.

Anyway, when I installed the 7500 series drivers from this CD, it now called it a "Mobility Radeon 7500", which I've read is a laptop embedded graphics chip and this is an AGP slot card. Anyway, those things told me I was in for trouble.

Anyway, I went to the ATI (AMD) site to get the newest drivers. I installed them and it gave a "Severe" error saying the driver wasn't found. So I just did the manual install ("choose device to install", "Have Disk", etc.) and pointed it to the new ati driver directory.

Windows gave me all kinds of warnings that it can't verify it's the correct driver for the hardware, doom and fire and hell await me, etc. I went ahead and OK'd the install, and everything was fine. Then I went and took out the analog cable, the screen of course goes black, then plugged in the dvi cable and heard that 'clink-clunk' sound of a new device and voila--the monitor lit up and the dvi was working.
--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back