Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get into Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

hahnsolo

Technical User
Nov 29, 2000
US
Well,

I have a big problem, I installed a game for my son (Knowledge adventure ,Pre-k) I ran the game once, the computer locked up so I rebooted it. Now it goes into scandisk, it gets about 20% finished and then says it detected a file that has a long filename and cannot continue, then it trys to start windows then the screen goes black. The text says something like system.ini is looking for several *.vxd files and they are missing, so I keep hitting return and finally the computer just powers off. I have a boot disk and a win98 cd. Should I just reinstall win98 and if so how do I? I tried to run the setup program on the cd and it said "This program requires microsoft windows" Now it won't go into windows at all. Can anybody help please?

Thanks,
hahnsolo

Hit F8 to get the boot menu. Choose command prompt only. Type:
cd\windows\command

then type:
scanreg /restore

Choose a date prior to the problem. Then reboot normally.

reghakr

Hi reghakr,

Thanks,
I tried this but it did not work.

hahnsolo

I would just reinstall your os. It won't delete anything. Get into command prompt, then click x:setup.exe (x being your cd-rom drive letter). This should start up the setup program for windows. Hope this helps.

The only problem with just reinstalling the operating system is that doesn't do anything to the registry. And if that program damaged the registry in any way, you're still hosed. Others know more than I do, because I usually punt on anything other than basic registry problems, but I think there's a program out there called regclean or something like that which will help root out bad stuff. If that doesn't work, you might want to think about formating your hard drive and doing a complete rebuild.

Did it give you any message when you tried to restore?

I'd suggest trying step-by-step configuration and choose NO when it asks to load those .vxd files.

What are their names, that would be helpful.

Re-loading Windows may cause more problems if you've upgraded Internet Explorer, DirectX, and/or Windows Media Player. You will essentially overwrite newer dll's with older dll's.

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back