Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get effects to work on images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxon

Technical User
May 25, 2001
CA
When I place an image (I've tried GIF,TIF,EPS and Photoshop formats), the effects won't work on them. Yet in the help it mentions that effects work on bitmap images. I have tried rasterizing my images, but that didn't work either... anyone have an idea why?

Chantal
Montreal

Which effects can't you get to work? Mine all work fine. Rasterizing converts a vector image to a bitmap so this won't make any difference. Perhaps you could just apply the effects in Photoshop before you import them?

Could you be a bit more specific?

Nick Price
nick.price@misuk.net

I tried 2 different pics: (1) scanned, (1) I created in Illustrator then saved as a TIFF, modified in Photoshop, then saved as GIF. I've tried both CMYK/RGB modes.
I tried to change the color in Illustrator by selecting my image then selecting a new color. I also tried a drop shadow, free distort and roughen. I've only been using Illustrator for 2 weeks so it may be something really stupid that I'm overlooking. The "drop shadow" option is available in the pull-down menu when I select my image... I've managed to use the effects on drawn shapes with no trouble.

Thanks for your help

Chantal

just popped in momentarily- i won't be around till tuesday and i don't have illustrator on this computer at the moment...Sorry, but ill have a look first thing tuesday morning, if no-one else has sorted you by then.

:) Nick Price
nick.price@misuk.net

Heya, checked on your problem. You problem is that certain filters are mean for use on vector shapes, and others (for example the 'Artistic' Filters) are meant for use on bitmap images. the free transform one will only work on vector images (those drawn within Illustrator). Illustrator is primarily a vector based application which supports a few bitmap features: you're better off applying any major changes to your images in Photoshop before you Place them in Illustrator. Not too sure what you meant by changing the colour but if your trying to fill certain areas of a bitmap image you just can't do this in Illustrator, you're gonna have to do it in Photoshop.

Hope this helps a bit :)
Nick Price
nick.price@misuk.net

I doubt you can apply any image filters unless the image is embedded into the file. Look at your links pallette, select the picture, and in the pull down select "embed image"

I cannot embed my images. I select the image, go to the links pallatte and embed image is not an option? My image is a TIFF? Any ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back