Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get computer to report the correct size hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

topscribe

Technical User
Oct 11, 2001
CA
I am trying to install an 80GB HD. Even though I used the auto detect in CMOS and it reported the proper size there, fdisk finds only 18GB, as does format.

BIOS is Award v.6 00PG, and I am using a Windows 98 Startup disk. Since it is a Western Digital, however, I even tried to use WD's Data Lifeguard Tools, but that did not help. Can you? Thanks, guys.
Butch

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts" --My Dad

hey Buddy microsoft has an updated fdisk you can download from their site. Sorry I don't have the link for it but you can do a search. best wishes python8

Thanks, fellas. You guided me right. The Microsoft solution didn't work, but it was supposed to, according to them. Well, back the drawing board, wherever that is.
Butch

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts" --My Dad

topscribe,

So you used the updated fdisk? Did you see one of links on that M$ page I suggested (towards bottom) - says format may report wrong size even after fdisk is correct - but it actually formats it correctly.

Another approach would be to use an ME boot disk ( - its fdisk should be ok (but again, its format may report incorrectly, but should work).

Just run dir when format complete - it should give you a free disk space reading - to check its worked correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back