Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get chkdsk to run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2004
US
I noticed corrupt files on the hard drive of my old faithful laptop. Of course, chkdsk /f /r won't run on C: and it asks me to schedule. I say yes and reboot. I have done a full shutdown and just a Restart, but Chkdsk never runs. I checked the Event viewer to make sure.

I've tried doing it from the command prompt and through the Windows interface. I have also tried doing with Safe mode. None of these have done it.

How do I get this to run?

Thanks!

what's the exact command you're using?

I've found it needs to explicitly include the drive - so if you want the full option:-

chkdsk C: /r (you don't need /f and /r - /r, implies /f).

(ie, not chkdsk /r)

If no good, try running it from recovery console - /f becomes /p but /r is the same:-

(you'll need to boot from CD or install recovery console as a boot option).

I did chkdsk C: /r. It told I couldn't run it then because it can't lock. Do I want to schedule for when system restarts? I say yes.

Restart laptop. No sign of chkdsk running. Check Event Viewer once Windows loaded. Nothing.

Unfortunately, I don't have the Windows CD. When I bought it, they didn't give it to me and I didn't realize it until too late.

Any idea why chkdsk isn't running even though I say to do it at restart?

can your run it from the "command" prompt while in safe mode?

No, it gives me the same message of: can't lock volume. Do i want to schedule it to run at the next restart.

try the below switch along with the drive letter and the /f and /r switches

/X Fix file system errors on the disk, (Win2003 and above)
dismounts the volume first, closing all open file handles.

It gives me the same message: can't lock the drive, do I want to schedule it for the next restart.

seing as to how you don't have the CD, did you make a recovery or boot disc?

if you did, then boot from the boot CD/floppy and then try to run chkdsk.

if you did not make a boot disc/floppy visit and grab one for W2K then try to run chkdsk.

good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back