Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant get a wireless connection for Security Cams? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehunt32

Technical User
Oct 11, 2008
US
Hello, I have a problem and need your help. I have a Dvr computer with win xp pro with our security camera system on it. This is connected to a linksys wrt54 router, I have taken off one of the antennas off the router and put a hawkeye antenna cable which is 40ft length an ran it to an outside antenna which is mounted on the roof. This is the signal I cant get to work anymore. It is supposed to be communicating to a hawkeye wireless reciever about 400 feet away. The wireless reciever there is connected to a buffalo wireless g ethernet converter...which is then connected via cat 5 cabling to a windows desktop computer with windows xp pro in it..., actually all computers involved have win xp pro on them. I cant get the computer 400ft away in building 2 to pickup wireless signal to view cameras Please give me some utilites advice on testing signal, etc..on how to get this connection working. The IP for the dvr is 10.100.110.102,subnet,255.255.255.0,Default,10.100.110.101....Ive tried this same setup down at the other building where the other computer is at but changed the IP to 10.100.110.105 or 106 and it doesnt pick up wireless signal....Thank you for your time and help ahead of time. ehunt32

That 40ft cable is a helluva long run for 2.4GHz unless you're using something extremely low loss like Andrews Heliax, LDF-450, etc. What is the exact spec of this cable?

Have you got a wireless laptop or a portable WiFi detector that can sense if there's any RF getting to the far end of that 40ft cable? Examples of WiFi detector:-

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back