Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get 1394 ports to work at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteph

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hi all,
I've been trying to get firewire set up on my Win XP (SP2) machine for some time now, I need to hook up a camcorder to it. I've gone through 2 pci firewire cards and none of them appear to be recognized--at least the camera isn't when plugged in--this same camera has successfully been hooked up to other computers.

What's odd is that these cards I've tried are both USB and Firewire, and the machine immediately finds the new USB ports at bootup but not the firewire--even going through the Add Hardware wizard manually doesn't do a thing.

Is it likely that both cards were 'bad'? I personally find that too coincidental, but maybe so. Is there any trick to this?? It does show a VIA 1394 host controller in Device Manager, but what's odd is that I used to see a 1394 Network connection (it was disconnected, I never used it--it was just there) in the network connections dialog. It's not there now. I know the camera doesn't need the tcpip over 1394 connection, but it's ood that that isn't there anymore.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
--Jim

hi,
in device manager, under network cards, do you see
1/2/0 1394 devices ? If not: are cable connected inside,
or see in BIOS if they are disabled.

Firewall On? Tried to disable for test ?

On the other PC, is there a specific driver for that camera?

ciao
vittorio

victorv,
I finally went out and bought another card--a Firewire-only card--and it worked. So I had two bad cards in a row. Just to verify I put one of the old cards back in after sucessfully downloading video from the camera, and there was nothing. So it was just two bad cards. That's China for you. If it isn't lead in the paint it's inconsistent electronic parts.
Thanks,
--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back