Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't fit motherboard in new case - confusing mounting configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Embarassing problem this one:

I've just got a new Jeantech 424 case + 300W PSU but I can't work out how you're supposed to mount the motherboard!
I have done this before with other cases.

The problem is that there are no mounts for the motherboard. There is a mounted panel on the inside of the case on the side that the motherboard goes on but as it is flat mounting will shortcurcuit the entire underside of the motherboard. Also - the slots and spaces at the back of the mobo wouldn't line up without an extra mount.

The case comes with some extra bits I've not seen before. There are 2x4 plastic stripc that mirror each other. They look like they might be used to block the connector spaces for unused slots but a) they don't fit and b) there are metal strips for this (as you usually get with new cases).
There are also little metal clips/mounts that can be forced into slots on the extra mounted panel I mentioned, and rubber "washers" that I could use to insulate the mobo from these mounts. The clip/mount things don't really fit into the slots though so I'm loath to try this and the plastic stips look useful but I suspect they are for drive mounting.

Help.

Anyone know what I'm supposed to do?

I was searching for specs on the case you metioned and I could not find any information on it...
The case should had came with instruction, maybe it mentions something in there. If not I would suggest contacting jeantech.

-Nelson

Hi ya! Hope you've got your problem sorted by now but just in case you haven't : the "clip/mount things" do slot into the spaces on the flat mounting. I then connected the motherbord without any problems - 6 of the holes did match up although the rest didn't... I used the washers and seeing as it's up and running I'm assuming I got it right. I must admit that a manual would have been exceptionally useful and the website is somewhat dated and of no use!
Good luck!

The clip thingies are probably bent steel, shaped like arrowheads with prongs at bottom. Those go into various slots and holes by spring action - not always ideal or easy, but they go nevertheless.

rubber washers are for insulation...

not all holes will line up as these things are "univeral" in mounting systems. This actually means they are made to "accept" anything you can force into it -- "accept" being the key (as opposed to "compatible").

Suggestion -- go out and buy a mounting accessories kit, make sure it's got lots of different mounting pieces, especially some nylon posts and washers. Method of last resort.....drill and tap! Email me! denodave@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

First line up the motherboard with the case and mark the squares that line up with the screw holes on the motherboard then you snap the metal brackets into the mark square holes and mount your motherboard with your screws and the end
David@Daw Corp, 1999-2002

Put the squeezy metal clips into the oblong slots in the metal case. Mount the motherboard on the clips. It won't short out as long as each hole in the motherboard is on top of a clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back