Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't find soffice.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlav

Technical User
Oct 23, 2003
JM
Upgraded to OO 2.3 yesterday. Since then when I double click a calc file a 'Program Not Found' messagebox says 'Windows cannot find soffice.exe'. I can open the calc file using OO Quickstarter icon in the system tray. My OS is Windows 2000 Pro, how can I fix this ?

You could right-click the file, select "open with", navigate to soffice.exe (probably in c:\program files\openoffice.org), and click "use this as default" (or whatever).

It works when I navigate to the file and an Oo_Org icon appears before the word OpenOffice.org 2.3 in the 'Open With' box. Normally there is no icon before this word as with the other applications in the 'Open With' box. When I navigate and the Oo_Org icon does not appear before the word OpenOffice.org 2.3 a 'Program Not Found' messagebox says 'Windows cannot find soffice.exe'.
This started to happen after I updated from Oo_Org 2.2 to Oo_Org 2.3 yesterday. I notice that the Oo_Org 2.2 folder is still in Program Files folder. Wonder if this is causing the problem or will I have to reinstall Oo_Org 2.3 ?

I would be inclined to un-install Open Office, Delete the program folders for either version, then re-install OO 2.3.
Sounds like the files shortcut has got messed up somehow. Probably quickest to re-install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back