Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't find slave hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

filakio

Technical User
Mar 8, 2001
US
I added a second hard drive from another XP machine but I can't find it. I can see it in the bios but if I go to disk management I don't see it. The hard drive was a slave in another xp box and I added it to my xp box. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

FIL

Check the master/slave jumpers on both hard drives. Some hard drives have master - master with slave - master with no slave. EXACTLY how is it "cabled" in your box (primary slave - second channel master - secondary channel slave)?

The jumpers are set correctly. I'm not sure what you mean by cabled. How do I find out? Thank you.

FIL

is the logical disk manager started in the services menu.

check, control panel, administrative tools, services and look for logical disk manager see if it is started

cabled":
Is the Master on the end connector, and the Slave on the middle connector?

This usually happens when your master drive is partitioned with FAT32, and your slave is partitioned with NTFS, so when you boot up with WinXP on your master HDD, you won't see the slave in Windows, only thru the BIOS screen.
Try inverting the drives, using the slave one as master and vice versa. You should see both drives this way (supposing tha slave drive has Windows installed).

Hope this helps.

Rob.

If the format type is fat or fat32 you may want to convert it to NTFS using the command; "convert x/fs:ntfs" where "x" represents the drive designation.

For example, if it is currently your D drive you click on [start] then [run] and type "cmd" and press [enter], then in the window that opens you can type "convert d/fs:ntfs" (without the quotes) and press [enter].
Bob W

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail." - Abraham Maslow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back