Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cant find PC in network neighbourhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatdog302

Technical User
Jun 12, 2002
AU
Hi All,

I recently added a vista pc to our domain. Already have a few on there okay. But with this one i disabled a few services that i thought wouldnt have an effect on anything.

now if i put \\vista_pc_name in my computer it wont find it, nor will it come up in network neighbourhood.

I can ping the pc name so it resolves okay so it should be a dns issue. Even if i put \\192.168.6.21 in the address bar it wont find it.

Does anyone know which service is responsible for this or what might be stopping it?

I have switched on all the services i turned off as well.

I have restarted multiple times.

I have tried Diagnose and repair. Came up with nothing. I just removed it and readded it to the domain and that did nothing either.

This has me stumped.

Is it visible when run in "Safe Mode With Networking"?

Are there any Security programs with any hidden firewalling components running?

You could try the Statup Repair option from the Install DVD or whatever your source media was. It might fix a few additional missing files (if you have any) beside the usual startup files.

You could also try SFC /Scannow from an Elevated Command Prompt.

Is everything that should be, ticked in the Properties of the Network Adapter?

Linney you were right in both your posts, it was file and printer sharing not ticked. I tried a few things but with the million other problems ive got going on here i missed that.

Thanks very much for you help.

You're welcome, and so are the other 999,999 problems, if they are Vista related (start a new thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back