Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't find computers on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quadrunner

Technical User
Oct 24, 2003
US
a problem has occured recently where as i can't find a computer either thru the search for computer command or trying to display computers in network neighborhood (just get an hourglass) this use to work fine. i've not made any changes what so ever to the network. i can however pick a computer on the network that won't show up in network neighborhood and ping it, connect to it thru remote desktop, and also thru the net view command. I can ping the computer either by name or ip address. i'm running an NT4 server as a dhcp server. could this be a virus or worm issue? All of my servers and workstations are up to date with the current symantec definition file.

Thanks in advance for any help

here's an update. if i choose a computer that is logged into the network and search for it it does show up after 4-5 mins. If i just browse for computers on the network it times out after a while, must be some type of timing issue while browsing.

What is listed with a Net View command, and what if any error message and error # is shown?
Please post it back here.

Also: Start, Run, CMD
netsh diag gui
(Select all options)
Post the results back here.

after rebooting DHCP server/master browser computers were being displayed again in network neighborhood.

Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back