Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't figure out the problem...erratic phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

cathy8630

Technical User
Oct 12, 2012
US
Hi,

Our system has been pretty erratic lately. Today, for example, 1 of our lines stopped to work (no tone, can't dial, panel light lit), the other two lines were fine. All the phone were functional. After resetting the Control Unit, all lines were functional again. The other day, for another example, all the phones started to ring at the same time, but the call wasn't connected when we pick up the phones. Same resetting procedure did the trick. The system is great 90% of time, but that 10% is disruptive to our work. I'd like to find out what's causing it.

I have a Merlin 420 with 3 lines and 6 phones. Any ideas of what I can look for to start ruling out? Could it be the wiring? Or more Control Unit problems? We did have a recent storm/power outage about 1 month prior to these issues and we didn't surge protect our unit (now we do).

Thanks!

Well, I would chalk it up to the Storm/Power outage. I would also think about a little UPS. Of course, if it's a 410 Merlin System, that makes it about 28 years old. But I know they are still quite reliable, even in their old age.

-merlinmansblog.blogspot.com

is it a 410 or a 820 control unit ,do you have a feature module ? ( in the top right of the control unit )

could be that is causing the problem.

Given the age of the control unit (410 or 820), my suggestion would be to upgrade. Its worth noting that Avaya has ended production of all of its traditional telephone systems (Partner, Merlin & Definity)...but...there is a lot of good quality used hardware on the secondary market.

Now, for a 3 line by 6 extension office, an Avaya Partner ACS would be a nice fit. An R6 processor (3 lines by 8 extensions) coupled with a Partner Voice Messaging (Large) and some 18D Euro (or Euro II) sets would add features such as voicemail an auto attendant, the ability to use Caller ID.....if desired and more. The system can be easily expanded as needs change. [smile]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

I once saw a Merlin 410 in a Salvation Army thrift store. $10.00 bucks got you a control unit with the feature key 2 and 7 BIS phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back