Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't exe NWADMIN32 / can't connect to server thru novell's client win

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich110

Programmer
Jan 4, 2003
HK
Hi,

I had a Novell 5.1 server set up.

1/ I tried to connect a W2K workstation to it. If I use the microsoft 'Client service for netware' connection, it's OK (so there could not be any hardware or wiring problem). If I install a 'novell client for windows' (49sp2e) it just tells me that it cannot find the server. So what have I missed?

2/ I tried to execute NWADMN32 from the workstation and it tells me that something like LOCWIN32.dll cannot be located.

Tks in advance for your help.

1/ Have you tried putting the server IP Address into the Server Field in the advanced section before you login?

2/ Are you executing SYS:pUBLIC\WIN32\NWADMN32.EXE ?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Are you running IPX only on the server? I believe the Novell 4.9x client defaults to IP only on installation.

You can't run NWADMIN32 unless you are running the Novell client. When you use the Windows Client service for NetWare, it's using IPX and bindery services. It has no idea how to access NDS.

Like Lawnboy said, The default installation installs IP only. So you don't get IPX and that easy plug-n-play client connection. IP only takes a little extra work to make it resolve stuff by name.. Either SLP and/or DNS, or you need to specifically reference the IP address of the server when logging in.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Try reinstalling the Novell client, but instead of doing the typical installation do the custom installation. Choose the IP/IPX protocol selection, and that should help out. It's bitten me a few times.

HTH,

Joe Brouillette

Tks everyone,

I get thru by reinstalling the Novell client and specify the ipx protocol selection. Then I tried to install a non-NDPS printer and the application did create a printer, a print queue and a printer server for me. When it creates the printer, it specifies the LPT1 port, but which LPT1 it's referring to : the one on the server or the one on the workstation that the application was running? There seems to be no clear indication of it. (or could it be the LPT1 of the machine which launches the printer-server, wether it be the file server or the workstation)

Then I install a printer with window 2k 'Add printer' and it shows me 1 printer server, 1 printer queue but not the printer (because I have create only 1 PrintServer, 1 Queue and 1 printer and by default if I choose the queue I would mean choosing the only printer on the queue ? what happens if I install another printer on that same queue? ). I did load pserver.nlm on the server (with the printer server name, of course ) but when I tried to print a test page to that window printer from the win2k workstation, the print page never goes thru (the printer is connected to the LPT1 of the server). Have I missed anything again?

When I go thru some reference material, it mentioned that the printer server can be on a workstation also. What happens if I load the printer-server on the server and then execute the printer-server program on the workstation? First come, first served? What will the window workstation see?

Thank you for all your help. Mind to tell me some web sites where I might get free reading material on Netware 5.1 ?

has excellent documentation as well as a fully searchable Knowledgebase.

I believe that any time an LPT port is referenced, it means a local LPT port.

I've never used print queues on Novell and I can't follow what you're trying to do with them. However, NDPS (Novell Distributed Print System) will solve all your printing problems (and will probably eliminate any need for IPX). Search for it in the Netware 5.1 documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back