Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't enter "fixup protocol dns"

Status
Not open for further replies.

yert33

Programmer
Feb 19, 2002
US
PIX 520 version 6.3(1). When I try to enter

fixup protocol dns

I get wrong number of arguments supplied....

What's the syntax, please?

Well, the command is ok you are just missing the dns query length parameter.
"fixup protocol dns maximum-length 512"

Jan

Network Systems Engineer
CCNA/CQS/CCSP

If I enter it as you describe it does the same thing. I have firewall version 6.3(1) on this PIX. Not sure if that version supports the fixup protocol dns command or not....

Nope, get 6.3.3

Jan

Network Systems Engineer
CCNA/CQS/CCSP

Thank you. Am I SOL because I bought my PIX on eBay and don't know how to upgrade the version?

As far as i know, just as long as the fee has been payed (bu the first person that bought the device) you can get free upgrades within the same major release. contact cisco to get your software.

Jan

Network Systems Engineer
CCNA/CQS/CCSP

good to know, dopehead. I'll follow up on that. I've never upgraded PIX software before. Is there a more detailed link you can send me to?

Thx!

Well, if you are running 6.3(1) you could use "copy tftp://x.x.x.x/pix633.bin flash:image" , where x.x.x.x is the address of your tftp server on a pc preferably on the inside, and pix633.bin is the OS for the pix from cisco. Much like an ios box.

Also you can get it from a http webserver if you wan't that, the syntax is the same just change tftp to http

Jan

Network Systems Engineer
CCNA/CQS/CCSP

Actually, your call to Cisco will not be all that pleasant. Buying equipment second hand makes Cisco call it "Grey Market". So, they will not allow you to register a support contract with it. You will have to buy a software license from Cisco to get a support contract to get the software updates.

Sorry. Don't shoot the messenger.

Scott [pipe]
CCNA, CCSE, CCSP, ISS-CE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back