Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't download different file types

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCYankee1

Programmer
Mar 27, 2001
US
Hi. I am using IE 5.5 and I think my problem is being caused by America Online? When I right-click on a graphic and click "Save Picture As", the download dialog box defaults to "untitled" and the only file type in the "save as type" listbox is bitmap. So like if I want to download gif1.gif and I right click on it I can only download it as a bitmap. So if it is an animated gif I only get one frame of the gif. There has to be a settting that is being changed by AOL. My other non-AOL pc allows me to download the gif as a gif. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

This is actually a server side thing, some webadmin can't stop you from downloading an image, but just forces the type to be .bmp There is a way around this, one webadmin posted a while ago, in this forum. You can also try this, in the filename field, put "" around the file name, which will force windows to save it as whatever type you want. so in the filename field simply type, "file1.gif" and it will save the file as a .gif not .bmp This sort of works, it can get kind of tedious, you can try a program called "GetIt" downloads all images in adirectory, might help...

later

ackka
ackka@mad.scientist.com

Hi. Typing "file.gif" in the fieldname didn't work for me. It only downloaded one frame of an animated gif. And it did not download it in gif format. So I downloaded GetIt and that does the trick for me. Thanks for your help!

No problem, if you interested on more info about this, go to my website, go under "Documents" and search for "Why IE will only download bmp's sometimes"

glad it worked out for you :)

ackka
ackka@mad.scientist.com

This is generally aq memory issue. Go to IE tools, Internet options, general tab and delete all temporary internet files. You may need to shut down all other programs except for internet explorer itself. Good luck

usefull link to this problem

Also, my IE would not let me "view source" and was not using the cache correctly, it kept reloading pages that I had just visited.

Which means for my problems lefftee had it right, emptied the cache, resized it to a smaller amount, working fine. However, it has been only a few minutes.

This is actually an AOL compressing thing. You have to go into the AOL preferences, internet properties, and then check the box that says "never compress graphics". This will allow you to save the image as gif,jpg or whatever it orignally was rather than bmp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back