Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cant delete file on server

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnul

Technical User
Jan 11, 2002
GB
hi

I cant delete a dir on my server. it says access denied. i went to the actual box and tried ot take ownership but the option doesnt exist in properties? the file shows 0kb. anyone know of a util i can use? ive looked in the resource kit but didnt find anything. ive also tried a
del /F from the prompt. any ideas??

cheers

Have you tried to reboot? Maybe some process is using the Dir.

I had a similar problem with literally hundreds of directories on my file server when I took over as Network Manager--if the access denied is a sharing violation type error. Go to and download a program called Process Explorer. (Handle.exe will do the job too, but is not nearly as useful as the PE.) Using PE, you can search on the name of any object (your directory for example) and it will tell you the PID of the process that has hold of it. Then you kill the PID and your object will be removable.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back