Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't delete desktop icon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gump1976

Technical User
Dec 21, 2001
US
Hi, I am trying to remove an icon from my desktop and I cant. It's been there for awhile and I'm not sure how it got there. I cannot rename it or delete it because I get an error message that says "Cannot read from the source file or disk". I've had it with this icon! Please help. The icon picture is the windows splash, and it's name is "2".
Thanks.

Matt

Hi,
This sounds like malware, non-virus, and your NAV did not see it.

Download and run in this order:

cwshredder *
SpyBot 1.2 *
AdAware *

* = Update the definition files within the program as the first step.

If everything shows up fine:
Download the application here, it will delete the file on next start up.
Let me know how you get on.

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

You may start your PC in Safe Mode, then try to delete that icon.

Hello gump1976,

Go to cmd prompt, and delete the icon (a link) using its exact shortname format. Cd to the desktop folder and use dir /x to discover/uncover its exact shortname.

regards - tsuji

tsuji,

Will not work that way. The type of .lnk created is similar to that of a pinned Start Menu shortcut, and Windows will want access to the underlying file.

Yes! omg its gone! Thanks everyone for your input. All I had to do was go into dos and delete it there, bam! gone! woo hoo. merry christmas to meeee. bye!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back