Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't create Emergency root CD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimktrains

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2007
US
I am installing 5.0.7 on an HP ML350 with no floppy drive.
I am trying to make and Emergency boot and root set on CD which the SCO site says can be done. Following their directions, it doesn't make the CD. But when it says to put in the CD, I log into another session and change to /etc/bootroot.d there is an iso file there that I use cdrecord to make the boot CD. It does work when I boot to it.

But when I do the same for the root CD, there's no iso file, just another bootroot.d directory, a bootcd directory with a boot.image file, a file named fd3332 and a mnt directory that is empty. I made an iso image out of the entire bootroot.d directory (the one off of /etc) but when I try to boot from it, after the boot cd, it says it can't find ramdisk.Z and stops.

What do I need to do to make an Emergency Root CD? Or can I make an Emergency Boot and Root CD on one CD somehow?

Thanks,
Jim

After trying many things, here's what I did that finally gave me what I wanted.

Run cdrecord -scanbus to find out where the CD/DVD RW is. You'll see something like this.
Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01 (i386-pc-sco3.2v5.0.7) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jvrg g
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus3:
3,0,0 300) 'HL-DT-ST' 'RW/DVD GCC-4482B' '2.02' Removable CD-ROM
3,1,0 301) *
3,2,0 302) *
3,3,0 303) *
3,4,0 304) *
3,5,0 305) *
3,6,0 306) *
3,7,0 307) *
Edit the /etc/default/cdrecord file.
Find ide= toward the bottom
ide= 0,0,0 -1 -1 burnfree
Change it to whatever appeared above. 3,0,0 in this case.
ide= 3,0,0 -1 -1 burnfree
Save the file.

Edit the /usr/lib/mkdev/fd file.
Search for cdnum in a line that has cdrecord at the beginning.
Delete the part in commented line (#) below with dev=$cdnum,0,0 and save the file. The cdrecord line above it is what it should look like. I left the original line there but commented it out so you know what to look for.

write_cd()
{
ISOROOT=$WORK/bootcd
ISO_OUT=$WORK/bootcd.iso
rm -rf $ISOROOT $ISO_OUT
mkdir $ISOROOT
ln $dev.marry $ISOROOT/boot.image
sprompt "$MSG22 $MSG23a$cdnum\n$MSG21" || cleanup $OK
mkisofs -R -V "Emergency CD" -b boot.image $ISOROOT >$ISO_OUT
cdrecord -v $ISO_OUT
# cdrecord -v dev=$cdnum,0,0 $ISO_OUT
sprompt "$MSG21" || cleanup $OK
rm_cd_nodes
}

Now when I run mkdev fd, select Emergency Boot and Root floppy filesystems, then at Emergency Boot and Root floppy filesystems option, select 5 even though it doesn't show. Then when it says to put in a writable CD, it should work.
At least it did for me.

There is a commercial product that does this far, far better than the native boot/root 'floppies'. BackupEdge, which includes RecoverEdge. RE generates emergency bootable .iso files that you can burn on any CD burner.

And you get fully bit level verified automatic backups to tape or NAS, iSCSI or anything with an FTP server.

60 day, full function demo at
Disclaimer: UBB is a Microlite certified dealer.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back