Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't create an OU

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfordjj

MIS
Jul 23, 2003
US
I've got a weird one. I've just created a new forest for my company. I have one DC and one file server on the root domain. I log into the DC with the domain admin account and open ADUC. I can add users, groups, etc. without any problem. However, I can't add an OU. The choice simply isn't available. It's not grayed out, it simply isn't there.

I haven't found anything that says I need to do something after installing AD that will let me add OUs. Any ideas anyone??

Thanks!

UPDATE:

I noticed that on the log-in screen under "Log on to:" it says "domainname" instead of "domainname.net". I created a user in ADUC and tried to log in with it, but no dice. I changed the name of the domain admin account and it registered with both machines (that is, I can log in with that account). I then added the new user to the domain admin group. I still couldn't log in. It tells me to "make sure the username and domain are correct."

Somehow, I haven't set up the domain correct, I guess. Any idea about what I did wrong?

Thanks!

OK, I think I've got it figured it out, at least somewhat.

While researching I found that GP can cause this problem. I had not made any GPs, so I didn't know exactly what was wrong. I changed the following in the Default Domain Policy:

Computer Configuration
->Administrative Templates
->Network
->DNS Client
->Primary DNS Suffix: Enabled
->Dynamic Updates: Enabled

Now, it seems to be working. I'm still not sure why the FQDN isn't showing up for me to log in to. Any ideas on that?

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back