Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't create a new connection to use my ethernet port for internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

spewn

Programmer
May 7, 2001
hello.

i loaded win2k on my box, and besides it being outdated, i can't seem to get my cable modem to work.

i've plugged the modem into my laptop, no problem, works great, so i know it's not that.

but on the desktop, i started windows, went through the "internet connection wizard", did the connect through lan, etc.

but still it says i'm offline.

i went to the right click on my network places, and there is no "local area connection" icon, just the "make new connection".

i'm confused. how do i create a new local area connection?

any ideas?

- g

You don't create a new one, you use the existing one and configure the settings.

Look at the Network settings on your laptop and copy them exactly.
Changing only the last number in the IP address.

Sounds like your cable mode is not acting as DHCP, but rather you need to set the configuration manually.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

hi,
I am confused: do you need go in internet by modem, eth, or both? what I am sure, the modem is going.

Are you at home, have a router to go in internet, are you in office and have other PC that use eth to surf?

Suppose you need surf by eth, and in Properties of
"My Network Places", you don't see connections.
May be that you have not loaded device driver for eth card?
Go in Device Manager (Manage on Mycomputer), and see if all HW decices have a Device Driver.

Please clarify something, then we can continue to support.

bye
vic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back