Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't copy large files "Network Name No Longer Exists"

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidno99

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2010
I recently changed my server out from an older HP blade server that was beginning to have drive errors on 2 of the RAID drives.

I configured an HP XW6200 workstation with Server 2003 SP2 as we are on a tight budget, now and this machine is quieter and less of a power hog. The plan is to slowly build up this into a full fleged RAID 5 server.

We have 8 PCs connected via a 10/100/1000 Cisco switch. There is not much activity happening, only 2 or 3 workstations ever being used at the same time, and for basic file sharing.

But what is important is that these workstations, backup their video and large data files once a week or more when large changes occur.

Server has a WD 1 Terabyte drive 7200 SATA. This is temporary until we can purcahse a RAID controller and 10000RPM sata drives.

Everything went well and I copied the data from the old server onto an external drive, then onto the new server.

Everyone can see the new server, and access and write files to the server in a normal workday.

EXCEPT!!!!!!!!!

Before I used to be able to copy the entire DATA folder from/to a workstation (approximately 386 gigs) which took several hours at night......without problems.......NOW about 30 minutes into the copy I get an ERROR "Cant copy file "name" Network Name No Longer Exists"

This happens on EVERY workstation, all XP WS, and Windows 7

I have tried a hundred different things with no success.

1) if I copy a small directory with small files NO PROBLEM

2) on the Windows 7 (64bit) and another Windows 7 (32) WS I get a copying error and then if I keep clicking on "Try Again" it will sometimes go again, or if I click "skip file" it will continue until it stops 20 minutes later on another large file

I thought that it might have something to do with the onboard NIC not having enough throughput, so I ordered an Intel DUAL 10/100/1000 NIC card and installed it. Still SAME problem, I cannot copy any files.

Worse, I Google this message, and a thousand hits come up with no solid solution that I can find.

HELP! We need to be able to copy and backup our large video files to the server, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON????

For the time being I am backing up on an external drive.

Thanks

try using robocopy instead.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back