Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant copy files from vista to xp over network

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertAguirre

Programmer
Nov 21, 2001
US
I cant copy files from a vista laptop to my xp desktop. I CAN see my desktop but I get 'you dont have permission to perform this action' when I try to paste a file onto the xp desktop.

I created a login on the xp desktop that matches the vista laptop, login and password.

On the xp machine I have sharing enabled and that specific directory has open permissions.

I dont know what else to do! Help?

Also, check to see where on the XP machine you are trying to copy files to. If it's under Documents and Settings, it won't work without tweaking the permissions. Instead as a good test, try copying files into a folder directly under the C: drive that has been given permissions to "Everyone".

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back