Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant connect to the c$

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianmac69

Instructor
Feb 3, 2003
AU
Hi All,

Having an issue with a remote pc when trying to connect to the c$ share.

Both machines are on diffent workgroups and domains but this isn't unusual in this building.
When i try and connect with to the c$ share i just keep being prompted for a user/pass.
the user can login with that user id and password and it is in the admins group.
Thinking that something may be wrong with that account i created another account and gave it admin rights and asked the user to login.
But when i try and connect to c$ same thing i just get a user/pass prompt.

I tried to use Dameware Mini Remote control to gain access but it appears that access to ipc$ is also not avaliable
Any ideas.

This machie is a ghost of 1000's of machines and has just been ghosted, Im wondering if there was some file that has been currupted.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Hello ianmac69,

Check out the ms article 318755:

Brief, check the registry setting at this entry.
Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters]
"AutoShareServer"=dword:00000001
If the value does not exist, it is all right as well. (I'm interested in knowing if the existing value is set to 0 or not.If yes, it could be the reason, else it is stopped for some other reason.)

regards - tsuji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back