Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't connect to SQL without backslash in servername

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmacbmac

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2006
US
Hi,

We have a Server 2003 32 bit domain controller (DC1). We also have a Server 2003 running SQL 2000 (SQL1).

The DC1 server has SQL connectivity tools and various BCP tasks that run from SQL1 Server.

All of the sudden DC1 is unable to connect to SQL on SQL1 via query analyzer, the bcp functions, or our 3rd party application which uses an SQL database.

The only way we can connect now is changing the server name in the connection window from SQL1 to SQL1\.

Does anyone know what kind of a circumstance would cause this? I'm not even sure what significance the backslash has in the name. I just connected purely by accident.

I'm not really 'up' on Domain Controllers, but I would have someone check there for how the server is set up. It could be an alias or something has been changed to SQL1\.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back