Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't connect to SQL 6.5/7 using named pipes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbychik

IS-IT--Management
Jul 7, 2000
US
I can't connect to either of my SQL servers using named pipes.  One is running 6.5, the other 7.0.  They are both set up to listen to both TCP/IP and Named Pipes.  The only way that I am able to connect is through TCP/IP.   

If you are connecting to SQL Server from either Win95 or Win98, or SQL server is running on Win95 or Win98, you will not br able to connect via named pipes.<br><br>This is because Win95 and Win98 do not support named pipes. If using either of these operating systems, you must connect via TC/PIP.<br><br>Hope this helps,<br><br>Chris Dukes

Thanks for that info, Chris but, my SQL server is running WinNT Server4.0 and we're connecting ( trying to ) with WinNt Workstation.&nbsp;&nbsp;Got any ideas??&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks!

It's my recollection that you can't connect the two different versions.&nbsp;&nbsp;I remember that I couldn't connect them as remote servers, but didn't do a lot experimenting after that since we upgraded anyway.<br>You might take a look at Book Online ---<br>Steve A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back