Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't connect to SMTP from internet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lclechner

Technical User
Jan 17, 2002
BR
I'm changing my internal configuation, so I will access internet thru ADSL with only one IP(200.X.X.X).
I'm using Exchange 2000 as mail server and ISA server in the machine that's access the WEB.
My exchange server has a internal IP(172.16.Y.Y), and I use the wizard of ISA server to configure the server, after that I open the Telnet in the ISA Server to do tests.
In my Local Network I can telnet the POP and SMTP ports, When I telnet POP(telnet 172.16.X.X 110) I receive the message:
+OK Microsoft Exchange 2000 POP3 server version 6.0.5762.3 (exchange.domain.com) ready.
When I telnet the SMTP(telnet 172.16.X.X 25) port I receive the message:
220 exchange.domain.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 5.0.2195.2966 ready at Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:29:52 -0300.
When I telnet POP from outside my network(telnet 200.X.X.X 110) I receive the same message of the internal address, so I thing the configuration is OK.
When I telnet the SMTP from outside my network(telnet 200.X.X.X 25) I receive a error message:
Connecting To 200.X.X.X...Could not open a connection to host on port 25 : Connect failed
My question is: Is this behavior correct?
If it's right, how could I check if my configuration is OK to change my access to ADSL.
P.S. I try to access a mailbox from a Outlook Express from the web and I can read messages(POP) but cannot send messages(SMTP), this don't worried me since I can send mensages by OWA, but I'm afraid that I will not be able to receive external mail when my MX records changes to the new address.
Thanks for help!

You need to setup ISA to open port 25. You SHOULD get the banner. No banner no mail in. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Hi Dan,
I manually create a IP packet for SMTP in ISA Server and telnet works fine, I think this should be automatic when I used the wizard to publish the Exchange Server, but...
I could Telnet and use SMTP from Outlook Express by the WEB, I think that's all OK now.
I will start to change all my access to this new connection tomorrow.
Thank you a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back