Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't connect to ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jogle900

Technical User
Aug 24, 2004
US
Hello,

I use ComCast for my provider at home everything works fine. I use my wirelss nic at home. Whenever I go on the road and hook up to the hotel's wireless network it does not work. I set for dhcp with no hard-coded dns settings. Also, I have my proxy settings in IE set to "Automatically discover" but it still doesn't work. I do have Comcast profile under dial-up settings.
What could be causing the problem?

Thanks,

It sounds like this may be a post for a wireless networking forum (if there is one...and I imagine there is) but I'll give it a go:

You'll need to adjust your wireless adapter's communication settings for travelling. Usually this involves creating a second profile that will either "connect to any wireless network in range" (or words to that effect) or that you can manually edit at a hotel or airport without messing up the profile settings you use at home.

The new profile would probably require you to configure the SSID, channel #, Encryption settings (if any...like WEP or WPA) and Infrastructure vs. Ad Hoc connection. Most wireless NICs come with a configuration utility that you can run as needed or that runs in the System Tray for easy access. Also, in Windows XP you may have Windows itself managing your wireless settings...in which case you can adjust them from the Local Area Connection properties sheet.

I hope all of this was somewhat helpful.

C-

Uncheck every setting under IE, Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings.

The XP Wireless Zero Configuration service should find the hotel wireless AP or router in its top or Available Networks box. Highlight the entry and click Properties, and allow the connection to an unsecured network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back