Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't connect to internet via wireless USB adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbportal

Technical User
Nov 7, 2002
HR
I have the following scenario

D-LINK router - D-link switch - Buffalo AP - PC1
!-- PC2
Not sure if the "ascii" will come out right, so it's the D-link router connected to D-link switch, which
is then connected to a Buffalo Access point + PC1 and PC2.
PC1 and PC2 have both network cards and wireless USB adapter software installed for the D-link wireless USB adapter

I setup the router with :
- 2 dns server addreses of my isp
-ip address 192.168.1.a
-dhcp between 192.168.1.x - 192.168.1.y.
-Below this range, I setup static ip addresses for PC1,PC2, a network printer, buffalo AP.

On both PC1 and PC2 I can access the web (web browser) via the
network cards.

For the wireless, I setup the Buffalo AP with :
- static ip address, default gateway = router ip address
- allow broadcast of SSID
- use Buffalo MAC address as SSID
- WPA-PSK authentication with TKIP or AES encryption.
- dns server - I typed in the 2 dns server addresses of my isp
- the key

What happens when I connect the usb wireless adapter to either PC1 or PC2:
- I use the D-link wireless USB adapter sw.
- The wireless networks are visible (mine from the buffalo AP
and one other one I know about)
- I mark my network, press connect and am asked for the key.
- I see the adapter going from ip = 0.0.0.0 to some intermediate ip address and then I see the dhcp assigned address 192.168.1.z
and "connected"
- when I open up Firefox - can't access web.
- ipconfig/all gives
- gateway = router ip
- ip address = as dhcp allocated
- dns - the two isp ip addresses

In Firefox I have "no proxy" marked under "Advanced"

What could be the problem ?

Can you ping the router? can you ping an site like yahoo.com? can you ping an outside address like 67.195.160.76? (yahoo.com) can you ping Also I don't think you need the dns set in the AP, as it will just confuse things, it's job is to send all information to the router.

I used the PC1 which had the NIC connected to the AP switch
for the test.
With wireless USB disabled and NIC enabled, I can ping the AP and the router and go on internet.
With wireless USB enabled and connected and NIC disabled, I can ping the AP but not the router.

I have windows firewall and kerio free firewall installed - the above is done with firewalls turned off.

So the AP is not sending packets back to the Router. Has to be a configuration issue on the AP, what model is it?

Well I spent a lot of time getting nowhere to confirm what I already knew - I have a lot to learn about networking/protocols and windows.

I worked on PC1 which has the internal NIC and software for usb wireless adapter, with following connection:
router - AP -PC1

The AP (router turned off) is the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH.

Before doing some further tests, I reinstalled Win XP SP2(I had a problem with SP3 - the login box went blank and I couldn't type the password - why should things be simple when one can have problems ;)).

Results (the AP has diagnostics which allow pinging):

Ping from AP:
->wireless usb OK
->router OK
Ping from PC1
->AP OK
->router NOK

I have Win XP firewall, Kerio free firewall and Avast free antivirus running (I'm not sure whether two firewalls are a problem/needed)+ router has some basic firewall rules.

To get the wireless usb to get the DHCP IP address, I had to allow the following firewall rules (I did all this with DSL disconnected) but I have no clue what they are doing and I'm not sure what material I should dig into to understand this better:

'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' from your computer wants to send UDP datagram to 255.255.255.255, port 67
application: c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe

Application: 'Tcpip Kernel Driver'; protocol: [2]; Remote address 239.255.255.250: Unknown event
application: tcpip kernel driver

'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' from your computer wants to send UDP datagram to 239.255.255.250, port 1900
application: c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe

Application: 'Tcpip Kernel Driver'; protocol: [2]; Remote address 224.0.0.2: Unknown event
application: tcpip kernel driver

Ok, according to the manual, In bridge mode, which is what you want, the DHCP server should be set to auto. No cable in the WAN port, the switch should have a cable from the other router. I noticed that this is also a wireless router, with built in switch, is there a reason that you just don't use it as a router, and take the other router out of the setup?

In the manual, go to page 36-37 (en) and set the LAN configuration for bridge mode.

I looked at the instructions again - as you indicate auto should recognise router/AP functionality but OFF=AP and that is what I had uptil now.

Not sure why you mention to use no cable in the WAN port ? Yesterday I connected the AP (set to OFF=AP) via blue port (WAN port) to the switch to which the router is connected and had the wireless USB adapter connected to PC1. I had previously already set a static IP address for the AP and the wireless USB is supposed to get it's via DHCP.

I switched authentication off and then switched it back on and strangely enough I could ping the router from PC1 (via the wireless USB adapter) - I have no idea why is didn't work until now/what caused it to start to work.

I am not using the router functionality because the DSL modem and distribution point is in the cellar but I need the wireless functionality two floors above and the signal is not strong enough through the concrete floors (I guess you were thinking of turning the DSL modem router into a modem and using the Buffalo as a router).

In the next few weeks I am changing ISP and will get a wireless DSL modem/router and I think the Buffalo will be again best used as an AP. Actually when I was buying the Buffalo, it looked like the APs cost more than the router/APs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back