Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't connect to internet in XP PRO? Strange problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrayingMantus

Vendor
Aug 8, 2003
AU
I can't get my internet to dial (no sound through speakers either), I know for a fact that it's not the modem as it's almost new and works in another machine perfectly well - I have also tested it with the 'query modem' option and it does work. I keep getting the error message that there is no dial tone, which is strange because when I hook up the same line to another computer it works fine. I seem to have exhausted all options - is there someone that can help me

The modem is an internal 56K/V92 & I have also tried a different V92 modem with the same result. I have also tried to change pci slots but that didn't help either

Does it appear correctly in Device Manager - no duplicates, no exclamation point, no other modems listed?

Yes it appears in device manager without any (!) or duplicates & there is no other modems listed.

You might try going into Dialup Networking and creating a new dialup connection and see if it works. Sometimes the dialup connections get corrupted.

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most......

It is obvious, but be sure the phone cable is connected to the correct port. I still remember the time I connected it to the phone side rather than the phone network side.

Thanks guys but I have done those. Ie. I have tryed deleting & reinstalling a dial-up connection....I even tryed a different one through a different ISP! Yes the phone is connected in the 'line' socket.
Could this be a problem with the motherboard?

Are you connected to a telephone system, i.e. do you have to dial 0 or some other number to get an outside line? If so you might try adding the AT command X3 (ATX3) to the modem initialization string. This will tell it to dial without waiting for a dial tone.

I am not connected to any phone system, it's just straight out with the phone calls. I did try disabling the "wait for dial tone by unticking the box that says 'wait for dial tone before dialing' & it dialed OK (still no sound from speakers) but it just hangs dialing...........then after about 30 secs it gives me the error 678 'The remote computer did not respond'.

Take another look in Device Manager. Look at the modem properties, Resources tab. What IRQ is being used?

What other communications devices are connected to that PC? Specifically, things connected to the serial and usb ports. A Palm cradle perhaps?

Try using Hyper term and connect to the modem. Once connect to the modem you can use ATDT and dial out.
Example: ATDT 6749919

Is the modem XP compatable?
I installed a new modem a year or so ago, that I thought was compatable, but wasn't.....

Everything appeared to be installed fine, and no flags, but would not dial out under XP. Switched modems and everything works fine.

Since you are getting the "Error 678" message this would indicate that your modem is dialing out, but cannot connect or handshke with the ISP.

Try calling the ISP number on your normal handset, if you are connecting to the ISP number you should hear varying high pitched tones, if not recheck the ISP phone no. and if possible try the phone jack nearest to the incoming line.

If the modem is connecting to the ISP but cannot establish a handshake, double check your username and password.
Also try switching off Firewall and AV programs briefly whilst trying to connect

Further to my post, what port is your Modem assigned to?
When I recently re-installed XP the Modem was assigned to COM2 and it did not work. When I got it istalled on COM3 everything was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back