Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't connect to internal PC's through VPN using DNS name only IP addr

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalew430

Technical User
Nov 27, 2006
US
I can connect through VPN tunnel and RDP to any internal machine by IP address, but not using DNS name. I also lose local Internet access while connected to the VPN. I set the VPN Client up using IPSEC over UDP and checked Allow Local LAN access.

when you are connected in over vpn what do you have populated for your dns entries for your VPN adapter?? it sounds like you don't have split-tunneling enabled on the PIX side.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

The VPN adapter is showing the DNS server. I checked the configuration file and I don't see an entry for split tunneling. I'm hesitant to run the VPN wizard to add it since we have it working now. I'd like to be able to add split-tunneling through the CLI, but not sure what the command for that is.

let me ask you this; when you try to ping is it by short name or fully-qualified??

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)

add this line to provide DNS resolution:
Code:
vpngroup NMAC default-domain <your_domain_name>
to enable split-tunneling add this:
Code:
access-list split_tunnel_acl extended permit ip 10.252.1.96 255.255.255.224 10.251.0.0 255.255.0.0

vpngroup NMAC split-tunnel split_tunnel_acl

I added the above to my configuration and the VPN stopped working. Once I deleted those entries I was able to connect through VPN.

homie says what?? you couldn't connect at all??

No ... I couldn't connect at all. Today I VPN in and was able to connect through RDP using DNS name ... strange huh?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back