Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cant connect to exchange server through vpn

Status
Not open for further replies.

glamprecht

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2005
US
Hello all!!!

I have a Netgear fwag411 firewall/wireless endpoint/Router.....

First off, all in all it works fine. But when my wife uses a Cisco VPN client to connect to her work exchange server, Outlook will never fully open and will never connect/communicate with the Exchange server and as a result, she can not access her email. If I bypass the Netgear router all together and just go straight out of the cable modem, everything works fine.

I am posting this in the exchange forum in the hopes that it is something exchange related such as some type of ports or what not?? I realize that the issue is on the netgear router but I am hoping that someone will in this forum can shed some light on the issue.

Security is set up using trusted PC lists and by using WEP>

As a word of note, disabling wep had no effect at all on the issue.

Thanks

Gary

Dou you have any ports shutdown on the router ?

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Thanks for responding Rick!!!

There are not any ports that i have shut down but it is a standard firewall that by default will block common attacks and uninitiated connections.

Thanks

Gary

Check with the router manufacturer. On linksys router in order to use vpn the router must have an address of 192.168.1.254. Just a thought.

Gary,
You might have to have an lmhosts file on your PC.

This file identifies your wife's company network (domain and network servers) to your PC. The LMHOSTS file contains the IP addresses of your wife's company servers. When she connects to her company network (via the VPN), she will log into the network and the LMHOSTS file will register the network servers for ewasy access for your PC. This will allow your PC/Outlook client to find the exchange server and log into it.

Hope this helps.
Scott Wrobel
IS Supervisor

Gary -

Does your Netgear Router/Firewall have logging capabilities?

If so, turn on the options to log all inbound and outbound TCP/UDP traffic (or just all Inbound/Outbound traffic). Save your setting.

Then find the area where you can view the log file. There should be an option to clear the logs. Clar them. Then Immediately open up Outlook on her computer and try to Send/Receive. Refresh the log's. Copy and paste anything that is showing up.

Thanks.

adamt56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back