Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't connect to Database over the internet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

leiphasw

Programmer
May 21, 2003
MX
I have a Server running Server 2003 with SQL Server 2000 SP3a. I have a VB app that connects and runs fine while I am on my local network. I added the following connection string and am trying to connect running from another location and it is giving me the usual 'Login failed for user 'myuser'. Reason: not associated with a
trusted SQL server connection.'

I got around this problem on my local network by adding the user as an administrator to the server and then connecting to a server share with the client's windows explorer. I don't know how to get around this when there is not actual local network connection between the client and the server.

All the documentation I read and try seems to have no affect. Any help would be appreciated. My latest connection string is listed below. I have tried many different strings and parameters all to no avail. Is there a document around that details all the connectionstring properties? I just pick up little pieces here and there and most make almost no sense to me.

(Naturally the UID, PWD, and IP address have been changed to protect the guilty.)

Thanks in advance,
Steve.

Provider=sqloledb;
Data Source=555.121.212.121,1433;
database=MyDatabase;
uid=myuser;
pwd=mypassword;
Network Library=dbmssocn;
Initial Catalog=MyDatabase;"

I had the same error message. Under the server name in Enterprise Manager, right click -> properties. Under the security Tab, I changed from the setting for Authentication to
SQL Server and Windows

instead of the default setting of Windows Only.

That fixed my problem

Hope that helps

Thanks. I'll try that. I set it on the server, but my client that is trying the connection from outside my network is gone now...slacker! :)

I'll know tomorrow morning.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back