Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't connect remotely to data servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchmore

IS-IT--Management
Jan 28, 2004
GB
Hi,

I am having problems with a couple of users connecting remotely to our data servers to access their normal Word, Excel files.

The connection works fine for the users to access our exchange server and pick up emails but not for data files (which are stored on a separate server).

The firewall we are using is a ZyWALL 70 and the remote access software is ZyWALL Remote Security Client.

I have amended each client's "host" file with the relevant IP address & name details but still no joy.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Any error message when attempting to connect, what OS etc ?

Is remote access set up so users can only access the RAS server?

Try pinging the server addresses, if no luck the add the server IP's to the clients Host file then try again.

Regards,
Iain

First off, is this a new problem, where they could connect before, or is this a first time trying to connect? Also, Theo is correct, we need to know any error messages. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from the Illinois or Florida area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL
To get the best answers to your questions, check out faq950-5848

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all the feedback.

The client laptop is running XP-Pro and yes, this is the first time we have attempted to attach to anything other than our exchange server.

We can ping both by IP address and server name so assume the host file is fine. Do you think it's something to do with the client remote software set-up?

Many thanks.

try connecting using unc name rather than mapped drives.

Check your RAS setting to ensure that remotes have access to the entire network and not just specific server.

Post back the result.

Iain

I've tried connecting using UNC name but still no joy(presumably you mean something like \\servername\data_files from a web browser?)

All the users have full access to all the network servers so I'm a little confused!

Thanks again for your help, guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back