Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Connect Directly To a NTAK11BD

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegenerallee

IS-IT--Management
Apr 7, 2011
US
I'm trying to connect directly to an NTAK11BD system. The setup is as follows.

Laptop -> 9-Pin Cable On Com1 -> Null Modem Adapter -> SDI port in NTAK11BD system.

I've tried TerraTerm, Putty, and HyperTerminal but can't get any response back from the system.

System's dip switch is set to 9600 which is what I'm also using in the terminal emulation program in addition to the 8/n/1 setup.

i think that number refers to a cabinet type, not the processor card....

NTDK20 would be SSC type if you are talking about a dip switch on the face plate.

Usually you have a 3 port octopus SDI cable try each port if you can, sometimes they get locked up. or if you have mermail card, it might be in mermail and you would need to do CTRL ] to get out.

the DIP switch Bps is only for PORT 0 and the 1-2 are software set...

You're probably right on all accounts. The sticker on the processor card (if the processor card is the one in the back of the cabinet that all of the expansion cards plug in to) says NTAK1114 R02. The card with the dip switch on the face place has a model of NTDK25BB. I'm not seeing any octopus cable. Is an octopus cable required? If so, are these easy to find / buy? There are just SDI and AUX ports on the processor card (aside from the P1 and J1 through J10) ports.

NTDK25 is a fiber receiver card.... that connects to the main cabinet via fiber, the main cabinet is the one that has the SDI capability, the expansion cabinet can have an an SDI port, but it has have a working SSC in the MAIN....

if the SDI LED is Red (on the NTDK25), then it's not programmed, so not worth trying to plug in....(if i remember correctly)

Yep, the SDI light on the card is definitely red. Okay, so any alternate routes you suggest since that's not an option or is there a way to enable it?

I inherited this system from someone and there's little documentation on it. Even one of the guys that worked very closely with the maintainer of this system, and others within my company, isn't familiar with it.

main cabinet (the one with the SSC card) SDI port 0 is the way to go if you are trying to get in the PBX.

Well, I'm not sure if this would be defined as a main cabinet or not. I think it's an Option 11 if I'm not mistaken. I'm assuming it's an Option 11 because one of our facilities has an Option 11 with three very similar cabinets where as the location I'm working on only has one cabinet. I just can't dial into it right now and the SDI port on the cabinet isn't giving me any information when I plug in.

On the *main cabinet*, in the cavity under the cards, you'll see a series of Amphenol 50-pin connectors lined up next to each other. The first one on the far left, there *should* be an octopus cable on it - which breaks out into three DB-25 male connectors. They should each be labelled Port 0, Port 1 and Port 2 (TTY ports).

On the SSC card, the dip switches on the face plate will determine the baud rate. All should be off (left) and only one should be on (right) - that tells you your baud rate.

You'll need a null-modem cable or adapter between the switch and whatever you're using for a terminal (either a dumb terminal, or a PC running ProComm, HyperTerm, whatever makes smile). Which TTY port is for maintenance - depends on how the PBX is programmed. But try each one, set your terminal to the baud rate on the SSC, E-7-1, and hit Return til you get a prompt.

Do you have just one cabinet? Since the card in slot 0 is an NTDK25 Fiber Receiver card it is an Option 11C expansion cabinet. If there is a fiber cable connected to the fiber receiver card the other end of the cable will be connected to the Main cabinet. If it is a plastic fiber cable the Main cabinet must be within 30 feet of the Expansion cabinet. The three port cable is going to be connected to the Com port of the Main cabinet. The PEC code of 3 port cable on the Main cab is NTBK48. The fiber expansion cabinet is totally dependent on the Main cabinet and can not function on it's on.

Wayne

Well guys, after all of that I came to find out that the box I was trying to access was an extension on a larger system in a different building. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.

That cabinet can serve as multiple roles, remote fiber of main, mini-carrier remote,expansion cab of cab 0, survivable IP or MG of a main core.
under slot 0 there is a DB 9 connector and in NTP's it calls out pin assign. depending on what card is in slot 0 and how the core has it programmed will dictate connection type and use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back