Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't configure secondary print drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpACH

Technical User
Nov 9, 2006
CA
Hello,

We're running a 64 bit Windows 2008 print server. We have the 32 bit drivers setup under 'Additional Drivers' but any settings changes we make on the print server aren't copied to the 32 bit drivers. Is there a way to fix this?

I'm potentially looking at the same issue at the moment. Got an R2 server, loaded some x86 drivers for the W7 clients, and still seeing old settings where i've changed stuff like paper size, print on both sides etc.
will let you know if I sort it.

paul

Paul Thomas
Important IT

Right then... got it! Annoyingly, I've spent all day trying to sort it, and when the fix dawned on me, I remembered doing it years ago!!

On my 2008 R2 Print Server, I had set up a HP 6040f MFP with a x64 driver.
As you've done and said above, I'd loaded the 32 bit drivers onto the server (making sure they're the same name etc, in this case the HP Universal Printer Driver PCL6).
But noticed that when I've installed the printers onto the Windows 7 32 bit clients (via GPO in this case), the prefernces I had set, Greyscale, A4, Duplex etc weren't there, just like you.

Basically there are 2 sets of Printer Preferences! If I right click my printer in Devices and Printers on the server I get 1 set, this seems to allow me set all the settings I need, but will only apply when printing from the server itself.
If I right click the printer, go into Printer Properties, Advanced and then hit the Printer Prefernces button, I get the same screen as before. BUT this time it's for the client settings!!
Highly annoying, but there it is!!

Paul

Paul Thomas
Important IT

Unfourtunatly, it's the device settings menu that's the problem in my case (the driver doesn't remember that duplex is installed).

Alexander Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back