Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant choose email account to send from - Outlook 200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slotter

Technical User
Sep 6, 2003
GB
Having a nitemare with my home pc.

It has office 2000 which I have not used for some time...

I have entered several email accounts but when I click send there is no "arrow" to then decide which email account to send from.

I thought this was possible with 2000 - or have I just got used to the lastest version ???

Only other thing I can think of is that this pc used to be on our network at work and as such it had exchange services at one time... ?

Lost....

You will be in 'Corporate or Workgroup' the account option is only available in 'Internet only'.
You can use the Reconfigure Mail Support on the Services tab of the Options dialog and change to Internet only or, when in a message click View|From Field and type in or choose a name from the address book.
You can also change the reply address for the message by using View|Options then check 'Have replies sent to:' and put a email address in the box.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Chris,

Thank you kindly for your prompt reply.

Something mighty strange on this pc I have not yet fathomed out...

I have now set up another user in win2k and tried a fresh email set up. I uncheck exchange and check internet only and note that the profile is automatically called exchange profile ?

I set up email accounts in the normal manner, but still cannot see a "from" box to decide which email address to send it from.

Now, despite all this when I try to send an email I get "undeliverable - No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient."

Seems like my PC still thinks it's on a network ?

I have changed the PC network identification from a domain to a standard workgroup.

Running Outlook 2000 SP3 / Win2k professional SP4.

Any bright ideas anybody or do I need to format the hdd and reinstall a fresh version of everything perhaps ?

Regards,

Mark

I never use the 'wizard' to create accounts, I've never seen it create one that didn't take twice as long to add the correct details to.
Set the Manually configure radio button and you can add the Internet mail profiles and PST files etc yourself, This way you can name the profile as well

Chris.

When you create a new e-mail there should be an accounts menu in the upper left corner of the window (right next to the send button). This should allow you to choose which e-mail account you are sending from. Otherwise it will use your default account.

wbg34,

That only appears in 'Internet Only' configuration not in 'Corporate or Workgroup'.

use Help About to find which you are in

Chris.

Please tell me that this is not true anymore. I use XP Home and Outlook 2000. I just swtiched to workgroup from internet only because the McAfee Spam Killer won't work for more than one e-mail account unless I switched. It was a pain but I figured out how to get my multiple address books to show up. Am now working on this little issue. I have several (work and home) e-mail address. I need to be able to tell it which account to send the e-mail from. Is this still imposible with workgroup???

Thanks
Jabez

You can use the "Have replies sent to" in the new message View -> Options dialog but "Send As" is only available wnen using MS Exchange.

Alternatively you have to use a different profile for each account all with the same PST.

Chris.

Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
Nightclub counting systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I have run into this before. It is a bug (I mean "feature") of Outlook 2K. If you are running in Corporate or Workgroup option and have exchange service running Outlook ignores the delivery order and sends all mail via exchange. You can access and change the order, however Outlook completely ignores it. See this technote:

You can either change your mailbox from the exchange information store to a local pst or upgrade. Outlook 2002 does not have this problem and is a painless upgrade from 2K. I'm not sure about other systems but SBS 2K included the upgrade to 2002 on one of the service packs.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back