Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't CHMOD on webserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremey

Programmer
Mar 31, 2002
US
I keep getting the following:

SITE CHMOD 666 forums.php
550 forums.php: Operation not permitted

Why can't I execute that?

I am the site admin. Could I set the permissions on my computer and then upload it? I am running WINXP, but I can install "Linux-Mandrake 8".

My webhoster uses Apache, is that the same as Unix?

Also, would it be better just to go with Unix? why?

You cannot change the permissions because you do not have the rights to. You should be superuser (root) to do that.
Apache is a webserver and Unix is an OS. There are meant for different things and cannot be compared.
I have apache running on Linux and it is very stable and performs well. Too bad I.T. is not cash business

Luc Foata
Unix sysadmin, Oracle DBA

Coupla things occur to me beyond what Luc mentioned...

-Why chmod 666? You do know that will give the world read/write access (rw-rw-rw-)to the file? chmod 664 (rw-rw-r--) is more common for such things as web pages, or even 644 (rw-r--r--) if your host doesn't assign each user to a unique group also.

-Apache can also run on Windows, so are you sure it is indeed a Unix host?

-It looks like you're doing this through FTP - to which directory are you transferring your file(s)? Whether super user or not, you should have permission to chmod a file in your own directory, so are you indeed going to your home directory? Can you ssh into the host?

Just some thoughts/things to check out... good luck. Matt
matt@paperlove.org
If I can help, I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back