Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't change Read Only on files and folders on W2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

desperadoh

Technical User
Feb 11, 2004
AE
I have just installed a Windows 2003 server.
When I copied all the shares from the old disk to the new system all folders and files are Read Only - and no matter what I do I cannot change this attribute (Tried with attrib from command prompt, but when doing so the folders/file look ok - no R on the folder/files). But when managing with Explorer the Read Only box is ticked, and even though I change it and can see the change is applied on all folders and files the read only reappears immediately.

Even when I (as administrator) try to create a new folder or file the folder/file is Read Only!

How do I get full access to the harddisk (Folders and files), so I can change the attribute? I have heard it is something MS has done to protect the system - and maybe it does, but it also makes administration a hell!

This is only a guess, but I'd make sure your account is a member of the Folders Administrators group.

--
Mike

Why make it simple and efficient when it can be complex and wonderful?

I always log on as (domain) admin, so I should have full access to everything - I thought! That's what makes it even more scarier. Have tried to go through Registry, but I can't find anything that looks like a restriction in change of file attributes :-(

try taking ownership of those folders (including subfolders and files) and take away the Read only attribute in the root folder (you will be prompted to include the change to all subfolders and files - select that option)

Good luck.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Thanks Claudek - I have tried, and when doing so I see the changes are applied (Takes several minutes), then I click OK. Then I check properties again - and the Read Only Attribute is still there!
Even if I, as administrator, creates a new folder I should be the owner as this folder and have full access - but EVERYTHING is marked Read Only!

I have seen this one - but unfortunately in DOS there is no Read Only attribute, it looks perfect in DOS, but once you check in Explorer in W2003 it's there - amd it prevents everybody to write to the disk, no matter what NT permissions you add - it's still the attribute that causes the problem!

So the question then is can you MODIFY what you have created? On XP you can even though it shows the read only.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Yes this is by design. If you look at C:\windows on your 2003 server you will see the Read-only attribute there. There is no way that you can modify the folder. This is a builtin functionality.

This is a known issue with Microsoft and article 838777 says that you can get a "hot fix" to resolve it. You have to call them and get it emailed to you. Im waiting for the "hot fix" now.

Hi,

this Read Only can be bypassed if the shares are created correctly (!)
I moved all the shares (folders) from the old server to the new server, and shared the folders "the old fashion way" (Right click, share etc), and users were never able to write to the shares.
The correct way to this in Windows 2003 is (apparently): Right click on "My Computer", manage server - go to Shared Folders - shares, and from HERE create new share and follow the Wizard (browse to the folder). When the shares are created this way NT permissions can be applied (The normal way) - and what's more important: Users can write to the shares!
The Read Only attribute is still there, but the shares work as shares (And NT permissons restrict level of permissions).
This is the way I got around the problem with the shares. It worked for me - I hope it'll work for you.

Desperadoh!

By default, Windows 2003 creates shares as read only. Right click on the folder where the share is applied and select sharing. Look at the share permissions and note they are set by default to everyone read only. Change this to whatever you want it to be. Where I'm at, we set everyone full control then control access inside the folder with NTFS.

Window NT and 2000 defaulted share access to everyone full control at full creation.

This is one of those things that you can hear a thousand times in class but it doesn't sink in until you get bit by it. I got bit by it so I'll never forget it!

desperadoh - Interesting that the two methods of share creation give different results. Did you reboot after the copy/re-creation the first time?

bfralia - This is about the read-only attirbue on files/folders not the read-only permission. The default NTFS/share permission doesn't have anything to do with this issue.

Had the same problem, kind of. Did the KB article Claudek mentioned (attrib -r +s [blue]files and folders[/blue] /S /D)and everything came out fine. Granted, there still is a check mark in the folder under windows explorer, but I don't much care about that, as long as everything works....

NickFerrar

You are correct, I misread the statement. People not being able to update or copy files into shares is such a common problem when companies first come up on 2003 that it was the first thing that popped into my head.

I guess the summer burn out here in Texas is getting to me.

After re-reading all this, I'm now confused as to what problem this is causing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back